Sunday, July 21, 2013

The DIY Bandwagon

Hey guys ;) , so today I have been oh-so-very-busy DIYing! For those of you who know me personally, I don't DIY (full stop) . I am quite artsy-crafty but for some odd reason I have never DIYed before *shrug- I've never found the time or couldn't be bothered... I got my inspiration to DIY my shorts this way from flipping thru the July edition of COMPANY magazine (>.< fave magazine)!

Okay so jumping right into it, here are all the things you need:
- A pair of shorts or jeans
- A piece of fabric you want to use (could be an old shirt etc.)
- A piece of paper
- Super Glue
- Scissors
- Toothpick (I used a cuticle pusher thingy)


         





It's really quite simple...
1. First choose what you want to replace with fabric (for me it was only one pocket)
2. Place the paper above or beside the area and cut out the shape slightly bigger than it is












3. Choose what part of the fabric you want to use (I chose this totes cute floral print <3) and cut it out against the paper.













4. Compare it to your shorts/jeans pocket to see that it fits before glueing













5. Apply some super glue quickly and precisely to the top seam of the pocket and then cover with fabric




6. Use your toothpick or cuticle pusher to hold the fabric in place. If needed put some more glue on top of the fabric in the seams.7. Test that you've glued it securely at the top by pulling it gently and no gaping holes appear. If they do apply more glue at the top but don't put too much as the fabric will get hard and it will look "wet".
No Gaping
Gaping 


8. Once the top is secure, do the same with the side, as there is no seem it is slightly harder as you have to glue the fabric as close to the side as possible. If you have fabric left over after glueing, cut off with the scissors carefully.

9. When glueing the bottom, make sure to leave about an inch of fabric glued on the inside so when your shorts or jeans ride up it still looks believable!

10. To avoid fraying of the fabric, coat the sides with glue.




~~THE FINISHED PRODUCT~~


So this is my DIY ^ , what's yours?? Go on, jump on the DIY Bandwagon too ;) Leave your pictures of your DIY! It doesn't have to be clothes, it could be for household items, face masks etc. Come on give it a try before summer ends :) ! Don't forget to comment your thoughts on mine too (I've changed the settings so ANYONE can comment so go on. I dare you ;) )

lots of hugs,
littlemissarianna x




No comments:

Post a Comment